Join the Team: Interested in being part of the Oppression.org Team? Drop us a line!
Asia-Pacific
Chinese Injustice: Muslim mosque demolished soon after grand opening ceremonies Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Friday, 06 January 2012 18:52

REPORTING FROM BEIJING--- Muslim villagers exploded in anger after Chinese authorities demolished a new refurbished mosque on the day they had gathered to celebrate its opening on New Year's Day. At least two people were reported killed in the ensuing clash, although one villager said the death toll was as high as five.

 

The incident tool place village called Taoshan in the Ningxia region of north central China. The clash was unusual in that the villagers were Hui, who are more assimilated than other Muslim minorities, like the Uighurs, and are allowed more freedom of religion by the Chinese Communist Party.

 

The mosque dated back to the Qing dynasty of the 19th century and had been legally registered with the Chinese authorities, said Zhe Tao, the wife of the imam. Muslim families in the village raised 800,000 ($127,000) for a renovation project that began in 2010.
"We refurbished this mosque with our hard work and blood. It is so sad to see it demolished,'' said Zhe in a telephone interview. "We don't understand what happened. We never had any interference with our religious life before. We love our country. We love the party.''

 

The demolition took place Friday, just after prayers. A large crowd had gathered in the town in anticipation of a formal opening ceremony Jan. 1st. More than 1,000 police and military were sent in from neighboring Gansu province.

 

"When the police attempted to knock down the newly built mosque, they were met with vigorous resistance from more than 100 villagers wielding clubs and shovels," a villager named Jin Haitao told the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.

 
When society loses the meaning of life... Print E-mail
Written by Oppression.org   
Monday, 17 October 2011 19:22

Warning: Graphic Content

More than a dozen passers-by ignored a two-year-old girl as she lay critically injured on a street in southern China after being run over twice, the official Xinhua news agency said Monday.

 
Thai, Cambodia troops clash over Hindu temples Print E-mail
Written by dailytimes.com.pk   
Tuesday, 26 April 2011 17:30

Indonesia's foreign minister postpones attempt to broker Thailand and Cambodia peace

PHANOM DONG RAK: Thai and Cambodian troops clashed with guns and rocket-propelled grenades on Monday, witnesses said, after a nearly full-day break in fighting that has killed at least 12 people in four days and sent nearly 50,000 into evacuation centres. 


Gunfire and explosions were heard near two disputed 12th-century Hindu temples that have been the scene of sporadic grenade and artillery bombardments since Friday in the bloodiest border conflict between the neighbours in nearly two decades. 

Thailand renewed calls for one-on-one talks with Cambodia following the cancellation of a visit to both countries by a top Southeast Asian envoy who had brokered a UN-backed peace deal on Feb. 22 to send Indonesian military observers to the border. 

Thailand has resisted international observers, but Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya declined to rule them out when speaking to reporters at an evacuation camp. “It’s not something we are opposed to. This is a sensitive issue,” he said in a briefing about 30km (19 miles) from the scene of recent fighting. The fighting near two temples followed a four-day clash in February that claimed 11 lives near Preah Vihear, a temple about 150 km (90 miles) to the east. 

At the centre of the latest dispute are the Ta Moan and Ta Krabey Hindu temples in a heavily mined jungle area claimed by both sides. Thailand says the ancient ruins are in its Surin province but Cambodia insists they fall in its territory.

 
Australia Military Kill 5 Afghan Children Print E-mail
Written by AP   
Tuesday, 28 September 2010 17:44

An Australian soldier patrols were a Forward Operating Base in Afghanistan

Australia's top military prosecutor said three former Australian soldiers will be charged with manslaughter in relation to a raid on a compound in Afghanistan that left five children dead.

Brigadier Lyn McDade, the Director of Military Prosecutions, said today that the special forces soldiers face multiple charges including manslaughter, dangerous conduct and failing to comply with a lawful general order.

The charges relate to a February 2009 raid on a compound in southern Uruzgan province that was believed to harbour Taliban insurgents.

Six Afghans, including five children, were killed, and another two children and two adults were wounded.

The soldiers were not identified.

The civilians died after the Special Operations Task Group soldiers used gunfire and hand grenades during the operation, the defence department said at the time.

"During the conduct of this operation, the soldiers were fired upon by Taliban insurgents," the defence department said in a statement the day after the attack.

"The (soldiers) engaged the insurgents, returning fire in accordance with their rules of engagement."

The defence department has refused to comment on the attack since then.

It initially conducted its own investigation, before referring the matter to the military prosecutor, which operates independently of the department.

In her statement, Brig McDade said her investigations were completed only recently after "careful, deliberate and informed consideration". She declined to comment further.

The prosecutor described the men as "former" soldiers, but did not clarify when or why they left the military.

Australia has 1,550 troops in Afghanistan.

 

Oppression Films

Scene Slate Clip Art
"Shia of Haiti
"
 

Artivist_logo.png (200×195)

Logo-UNAFF.gif (150×150)

Follow us on Twitter